Collection consists of negative photostats of manuscript records of the British Army headquarters in America during 1775-1783, representing the official notes of General Thomas Gage, Sir William Howe, Sir Henry Clinton, and Sir Guy Carleton as commanders-in-chief. Also, calendar (four volumes) to the records published by the British Historical Manuscripts Commission in 1904-1909.
Content: Also known as Carleton Papers or Dorchester Papers
Ownership: Originals given to Royal Institution of Great Britain at London in 1804 by John Symons of Paddington. In 1929 the collection was sold to Dr. A.S. Rosenbach of Philadelphia and New York who in turn sold it in 1930 to John D. Rockefeller, Jr. During 1930-1934 it was stored at the New York Public Library and in 1935 Rockefeller presented the collection to Colonial Williamsburg. In 1957 the papers were given to Queen Elizabeth II who deposited them in the Public Record Office in London. Colonial Williamsburg has the positive photocopies of the papers while New York Public Library has the negative copies.