Collection of photographic negatives taken by inspectors of the New York City Tenement House Department, dating from 1902-1914. The collection is comprised of roughly 8000 glass plate negatives and 249 mounted plates, which were used by the Tenement House Department for exhibition purposes. The collection includes exterior views of buildings, domestic interiors, backyards, and plumbing and sanitary facilities, as well as images of street scenes and local residents. The New York Tenement House Department was created in 1901 to enforce new building standards and document safety and health violations in New York City's overcrowded multi-family dwellings. Inspectors, including staff photographers, surveyed and documented the living conditions of the occupants, including information pertaining to light and ventilation, fire safety, sanitation, and interior layout.