Town Hall was founded in 1894 by six prominent suffragists under the name League for Political Education to continue the struggle for women's rights by raising political consciousness. Robert Ely was director of the League from 1907 to 1937. The Town Hall building, erected with funds raised by public subscription, was opened in 1921 as "a meeting place, clearing house for ideas, forum, lyceum, concert hall, school, and college." In 1935, George Denny, associate director of the League and later president, created America's Town Meeting of the Air, a radio program to foster discussion of political, social and economic concerns. The name of the institution was changed in 1938 to The Town Hall, Inc. and in 1956 it became affiliated with New York University. Collection contains correspondence, memoranda, minutes, reports, financial records, transcripts, publicity materials, photographs, and scrapbooks of newsclippings concerning the League for Political Education and Town Hall, Inc. League for Political Education records consist of correspondence and minutes, 1935-1937, of the executive and other committees. Records of America's Town Meeting of the Air, 1935-1956, include general correspondence, letters from listeners, office memoranda, audience mail reports, speakers aid materials, correspondence of the director of radio and television operations, publicity materials, photographs, and newsclippings. Collection contains Town Hall records, such as correspondence, financial and legal papers, transcripts of lectures, printed matter, and photographs, from the Historical Dept., Concert Dept., Short Courses Division, and other units of the institution.