De Gey Ku Cham, Paro Tsechu, Day One: Inside the Dzong [Wide shot]Additional title: Dance of the Eight Kinds of SpiritsAdditional title: Dzg. De Gyad
NamesCore of Culture (Organization) (Producer)Core of Culture (Organization)
Bhutan Dance Project, Core of Culture
Dates / OriginDate Issued: 2005
Library locationsJerome Robbins Dance DivisionShelf locator: *MGZIDF 813A
TopicsBhutanSpirits (Buddhism)Masks -- BhutanDance -- Religious aspects -- BuddhismDance -- BhutanDzongs -- Bhutan -- Paro (District)Paro (Bhutan : District)Festivals -- BhutanFolk dancing -- BhutanRites and ceremonies -- BhutanRitual and ceremonial dancing -- BhutanMask dances -- BhutanAnimal dances -- BhutanSpirit dances -- Bhutan
GenresDance.Filmed dance.Filmed performances.Video.
NotesFor close shot version, see: *MGZIDF 813B.Paro Tshechu is held from the 11th to 15th day of the 2nd month of the Bhutanese calendar every year. Actually, the Tshechu begins with a chamjug or rehearsal day on the 10th day of the 2nd month, and ends on the 16th day of the 2nd month with a day s dances at Dzongdrakha monastery above Bondey.Paro Tsechu Programme Day One: Goma Rabsel Courtyard, Inside the Dzong: Shinjey Yab Yum - Dance of the Lord of Death and his Consort ; Durdag - Lords of the Charnel Grounds ; Zhanag - Dance of the Black Hats ; Dramitse Nga Cham - The Drum Dance of Dramitse ; Degey - Dance of the Eight (Kinds of) Spirits ; Chhoe Zhey - Religious Song.Venue: Videotaped in performance at the Paro Dzong, in Paro, Bhutan (Goma Rabsel inner courtyard, Upper Balcony looking along the diagonal of the inner courtyard), on Mar. 21, 2005.Acquisition: Gift; Core of Culture. NN-PDBiographical/historical: The annual Paro Tshechu is held from the 9th till the 15th of the 2nd month every year. It was first introduced by Gyalse Tenzin Rabgye in 1687, while the tshechu was initially held in the dzong, after the reconstruction in 1906 it was held outside. The highlight of the tshechu is the Thongdol which is believed to deliver from all sins. The Thongdol that was saved from the fire of 1906 was built by Lama Nawang Rabgay and is considered one of the oldest in Bhutan. It was slightly renovated by the government about twenty years ago. The material for the Thongdol was brought from Lhasa in Tibet.Biographical/historical: The history of Ringpung Dzong (Palace of the heap of jewels) or Paro Dzong: The construction of the Paro Dzong began in 1644 on the order of Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal, the unifier of modern day Bhutan. Unlike most of the other dzongs in Bhutan, it survived the massive 1897 earthquake although it was damaged by fire in 1906.
Physical DescriptionElectronic resource1 digital video file (ca. 86 min.)Digital, stereo., H.264 file.
DescriptionAnother subjugation dance taking place around a central black triangular box The Paro De Gey Ku Cham is different to the one performed in Thimphu both in the number and identity of the Spirits present and in the costumes. see notes. The Ku of the title is an honorific making this something like the Elevated Dance of the Eight Kinds of Spirits. The eight spirits are - Yakshas, Mamos, Shinjes, Gyelpos, Tsens, Dus, Lus and the Lhas. They are masters of the Three Worlds (sky, earth, underground). These poisonous and evil deities provoke death by their desire to continually torment sentient beings. Ultimately these spirits are subdued by the gods and endless happiness is recovered. (Paro Guide Book).
Type of ResourceMoving image
IdentifiersNYPL catalog ID (B-number): b19887281~S1Universal Unique Identifier (UUID): 03bbaf40-e7f0-0130-b709-3c075448cc4b
Copyright NoticeOpen.Core of Culture
Rights StatementThis item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. You are free to use this Item in any way that is permitted by the copyright and related rights legislation that applies to your use. For other uses you need to obtain permission from the rights-holder(s).
Item timeline of events