Rig Nga Chudru Pachu Gi Cham, Thimphu Tsechu: Final Day, Day Four [Wide shot]Additional title: Dance of the Sixteen Fairies with hand-drums and bells
NamesCore of Culture (Organization) (Producer)Core of Culture (Organization)
Bhutan Dance Project, Core of Culture
Dates / OriginDate Issued: 2006
Library locationsJerome Robbins Dance DivisionShelf locator: *MGZIDF 964A
TopicsProcessions -- BhutanDzongs -- Bhutan -- Thimphu (District)Thimphu (Bhutan : District)Dance -- Religious aspects -- BuddhismDance -- BhutanFestivals -- BhutanFolk dancing -- BhutanRites and ceremonies -- BhutanRitual and ceremonial dancing -- BhutanDrum dances -- BhutanProcessional dances -- Bhutan
GenresDance.Filmed dance.Filmed performances.Video.
NotesFor close shot version, see: *MGZIDF 964B.Programme for the Masked Dances at the Thimphu Tsechu, Day Four (Oct. 4, 2006): Pa Cham - The Dance of the Heroes ; Durdag - Dance of the Four Lords of the Charnel Grounds ; Ging Tang Tsholing - Dance of the Ging and Tsholing ; Guru Tshengye - Eight Mainifestations of Guru Rinpoche ; Rig Nga Chudru Nga-Chui Cham - Dance of the Sixteen Fairies with Drums ; Rig Nga Chudru Pachu Gi Cham - Dance of the Sixteen Fairies with hand-drums and bells ; Chhoe Zhey - Dharma Song.Venue: Videotaped in performance at the Trashichhodzong, in Thimphu, Bhutan (looking down from first floor window to the extreme left of the Je Khenpo's position in the zari. This position looks across the diagonal towards the entrance and exit pavilion), on Oct. 4, 2006.Acquisition: Gift; Core of Culture. NN-PDBiographical/historical: History of Trashi Chho Dzong: In 1216, Lama Gyalwa Lhanangpa built the Dho-Ngon (blue stone) Dzong on a hill above Thimphu where Dechenphodrang now stands. When Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal came to Bhutan in the 17th century, the followers of Lama Gyalwa Lhanangpa were completely crushed, and the Dho-Ngon Dzong fell into the hands of Zhabdrung. In 1641 Zhabdrung rebuilt the Dho-Ngon Dzong and named it Tashicho Dzong (Fortress of the auspicious religion). In 1694 it was enlarged by the 4th Desi Tenzin Rabgye. During the reign of the 5th Desi, Gedun Chophel, in 1698, the Dzong caught fire and was restored. The 10th Desi, Mipham Wangpo, built the Kagyu Lhakhang inside the Tasshicho Dzong. In 1747 the Dong was enlarged at the initiative of the 13th Desi, Chogyal Sherab Wangchuk. During the reign of the 6th Desi, Sonam Lhendup, and the 13th Je Khenpo, Yonten Thaye, the Dzong caught fire for a second time. The two then proposed to move it from Dhechenphodrang and build a new Dzong at the site of its currant location. In 1777, during the time of the 18th Desi, Jigme Singye, the Kunrey (assembly hall of the monks) in the Dzong was renovated by the 25th Desi, Pema Cheda, in 1807. Phurgyal, during his tenure as the 32nd Desi, added the Di Tsang Lhakhang in 1826 and installed many new statues. In 1869 the Dzong once again caught fire, during the time of the 47th Desi. The Dzong was extensively repaired. The 52nd Desi, Kitshelpa Dorji Namgyal, built the Lamai Lhakhang and the Mithrugpa Lhakhang. He also installed a statue of Mithrugpa (Akshobya), facing west. The Guru Lhakhang was built by the Thimphu Dzongpon, Kunzang Thinley, in 1886, under the direction of Karmapa Khachab Dorji. The Lhakhang houses images of Guru Nangsi Zilnon (complete triumph over all illusory appearances, or the great subjugator), the Guru Tshengye (eight manifestations of Guru Padmasambhava) and the Gongdue Lhatshog (images of Abhipraya Samaja). His late Majesty Jigme Dorji Wangchuk took the initiative of renovating the Dzong in 1962. The entire Dzong was rebuilt in traditional fashion, without nails or written plans. The overall renovation works were overseen by Zopen Parpa Yodsel. Seven years later, in 1969, corresponding to the Earth Bird Year, the Dzong was consecrated by Je Khenpo Thri Zur Thinley Lhendup, and Dorji Lopon Nyizer Tulku. In 2002 a newly built Neten Chudrug (16 arhats, those who had extinguished all defilements) Thongdrol was consecrated and added to Trashicho Dzong by His Holiness the Je Khenpo. The Thongdrol depicting the Buddha Shakyamuni is surrounded by the 16 arhats. The Thongdrol is unveiled to the public annually on the 15th day of the 4th month of the Bhutanese calendar, coinciding with the Duechen Ngazom (Lord Buddha s Mahaparinivana) celebration. In the past, the National Assembly met within the Dzong. Today it houses the secretariat, throne room, and offices of the king of Bhutan. The northern portion is the summer residence of the Je Khenpo and the Central Monastic Body.Biographical/historical: The annual Thimphu Tshechu takes place over four days at end of September to commemorate the birth anniversary of Guru Rinpoche on the 10th Day of the Eighth Month. These days equate to the 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th days of the Eighth Month. According to the tradition of Lama Gongdue, the annual Thimphu Tshechu, introduced in 1670 in the eighth month of the Bhutanese calendar during the reign of the fourth Desi, Tenzin Rabgye (1638-1696).
Physical DescriptionElectronic resource1 digital video file (ca. 46 min.)Digital, stereo., H.264 file.
DescriptionIn the middle of the dance a procession begins from the steps of the temple accompanying Guru Rinpoche and circumambulating the arena. Once the figure is restored to the temple - people begin to go up and down the steps in front of the effigy - which, given the large crowds, will take several more hours before everyone has passed by.
Type of ResourceMoving image
IdentifiersNYPL catalog ID (B-number): b19940525Universal Unique Identifier (UUID): 04541c90-f875-0130-72db-3c075448cc4b
Copyright NoticeOpen.Core of Culture
Rights StatementThis item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. You are free to use this Item in any way that is permitted by the copyright and related rights legislation that applies to your use. For other uses you need to obtain permission from the rights-holder(s).
Item timeline of events