Dranyen Cham, Paro Tsechu, Day Five: Outside the Dzong [Wide shot]Additional title: Dranyen Chhoe Zhey
NamesCore of Culture (Organization) (Producer)Padma Sambhava, approximately 717-approximately 762 (Honoree)Core of Culture (Organization) (Donor)
Bhutan Dance Project, Core of Culture
Dates / OriginDate Created: 2005
Library locationsJerome Robbins Dance DivisionShelf locator: *MGZIDF 666A
TopicsDance -- BhutanFolk dancing -- BhutanDance -- Religious aspects -- BuddhismRites & ceremonies -- BhutanFestivals -- BhutanDzongs -- Bhutan -- Paro (District)Paro (Bhutan : District)
GenresFilmed danceFilmed performances
NotesContent: Paro Tsechu Programme Day Five: (Outside the Dzong): Thongdrol Jyekha and Shugdrel Ceremony ; Pa Cham - Dance of the Heroes ; Ging Tang Tsholing - Dance of the Ging and Tsholing ; Guru Tshengye - The Eight Manifestations of Guru Tshengye ; Rig Nga Chudru Nga-Chui Cham - Dance of the Sixteen Fairies ; Chhoe Zhey - Religious Song (NB: not all the dances were filmed on this day).Biographical/historical: Paro Tshechu is held from the 11th to 15th day of the 2nd month of the Bhutanese calendar every year. The Tshechu proper begins with a Chamjug or rehearsal day on the 10th day of the 2nd month, and ends on the 16th day of the 2nd month with a day of dances at Dzongdrakha (see the records in BDA) monastery above Bondey.Venue: Videotaped in the outer courtyard, Paro Dzong (raised level, looking towards the temple), on Mar. 25, 2005.Acquisition: Gift; Core of Culture. NN-PDBiographical/historical: The annual Paro Tshechu is held from the 9th till the 15th of the 2nd month every year. It was first introduced by Gyalse Tenzin Rabgye in 1687, while the tshechu was initially held in the dzong, after the reconstruction in 1906 it was held outside. The highlight of the tshechu is the Thongdol which is believed to deliver from all sins. The Thongdol that was saved from the fire of 1906 was built by Lama Nawang Rabgay and is considered one of the oldest in Bhutan. It was slightly renovated by the government about twenty years ago. The material for the Thongdol was brought from Lhasa in Tibet.Biographical/historical: The history of Ringpung Dzong (Palace of the heap of jewels) or Paro Dzong: The construction of the Paro Dzong began in 1644 on the order of Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal, the unifier of modern day Bhutan. Unlike most of the other dzongs in Bhutan, it survived the massive 1897 earthquake although it was damaged by fire in 1906.
Physical DescriptionBorn digitalExtent: 1 video file (ca. 8 min.) : sound, color
DescriptionThe origin of the Dranyen Cham can be traced back to the 17th Century when Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyel, the re-incarnation of Avolokiteshvara and Guru Padmsambhava unified Bhutan, the land of four openings (kha-zhi), brought it under his control and blessed it as per the prophecy of of Guru Padmasambhava. The Zhabdrung treated his subjects like his own sons and protected them under the golden yoke of the enlightened law. He crushed all external enemies and proved victorious in all directions.
Type of ResourceMoving image
IdentifiersNYPL catalog ID (B-number): b19768437Universal Unique Identifier (UUID): 55094eb0-8292-0130-bffb-3c075448cc4b
Copyright NoticeCore of Culture
Rights StatementThis item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. You are free to use this Item in any way that is permitted by the copyright and related rights legislation that applies to your use. For other uses you need to obtain permission from the rights-holder(s).
Item timeline of events