Kyabgoen Gi Beh, Punakha Drubchen: Day Three, Final Day [Close shot]Additional title: Ceremony with H. H. Je Kenpho
NamesCore of Culture (Organization) (Producer)Core of Culture (Organization) (Donor)
Bhutan Dance Project, Core of Culture
Dates / OriginDate Created: 2005
Library locationsJerome Robbins Dance DivisionShelf locator: *MGZIDF 764B
TopicsRites & ceremonies -- BhutanDzongs -- Bhutan -- Punakha (District)Punakha (Bhutan : District)Festivals -- BhutanBuddhist monks -- Bhutan
NotesAdditional physical form: For wide shot version, see: *MGZIDF 764A.Biographical/historical: The Punakha Drubchen is one of the most sacred festivals in Bhutan. This Drubchen is dedicated to Yeshey Goenpo (Mahakala) one of the three Protector Deities of Bhutan. The first two days of the Drubchen see dances taking place inside the Dukang Shrine amongst monks, witnessed only by elected officials of the Government and VIP guests. Whilst Core of Culture were allowed to witness these highly-protected rituals and the sacred dances that accompany them, filming was not allowed. The dances of the third and final day take place before the public, outside, in the main courtyard of the Dzong.Content: Programme for the Punakha Drubchen: Day Three (Feb. 15, 2005). Outside in the Dzong Courtyard before the Public: Shinjey Yab Yum (2 dancers), Mangcham (32 dancers).Venue: Videotaped in performance at the Punakha Dzong (Kabgoen Lhakang - Upper Shrine-room), on Feb. 15, 2005.Acquisition: Gift; Core of Culture. NN-PDBiographical/historical: Pungthang Dechen Phodrang Dzong (The Palace of Great Bliss) in Punakha was constructed by Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyel in 1637-38 and is of great historical significance. Located on a stretch of land where two rivers, the Phochu and Mochu, coverage, the Dzong appears as great anchored ship. It was here that the Zhabdrung died in 1651. Again, it was here that the first hereditary Monarch of Bhutan, King Ugyen Wangchuck, was enthroned just over one hundred years ago, on Dec. 17, 1907. Punakha served as the winter capital of the Kingdom until 1955, (after which the capital moved to Thimphu) and Punakha Dzong continues to be the winter residence of the Central Monastic Authority (CMA) the main monk body of the Drukpa Kagyu School.
Physical DescriptionBorn digitalExtent: 1 video file (ca. 31 min.) : sound, color
DescriptionCeremonial meeting between H.H. the Je Khenpo and the Pazap warriors who historically protected the Punakha Dzong. Here, Monks and Pazap warriors meet and are fed before H.H. the Je Khenpo in the Kyabgoen Lhakhang Temple. This meeting, part of the historical reconstruction of the Zhabdrung's time, remembers the Zhabdrung giving orders and instructions to his Pazap troops. Later footage shows the Pazaps gathering in the courtyard and then leaving the Dzong, to circumambulate the site celebrating with yells and other martial cries.
Type of ResourceMoving image
IdentifiersNYPL catalog ID (B-number): b19825552Universal Unique Identifier (UUID): eed8bf80-e7ef-0130-c8f3-3c075448cc4b
Copyright NoticeCore of Culture
Rights StatementThis item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. You are free to use this Item in any way that is permitted by the copyright and related rights legislation that applies to your use. For other uses you need to obtain permission from the rights-holder(s).
Item timeline of events