The Rockefeller Institute for Medical Research was founded in 1901 in New York City by John D. Rockefeller for the advancement of medical research. Collection consists of correspondence of P.A. Levene of the Institute with displaced foreign physicians and chemists. Levene was a chemist who was a member of the Institute from 1907 to 1939. The foreign physicians and chemists sought to emigrate to the U.S. from Europe and especially Germany because they were of Jewish descent. Other correspondence is with referees and refugee aid organizations.