+ o - ^
previous next

View this item elsewhere:

Title
Harbors of Captain's Island East and Captain's Island West (Harbors of Refuge no.)
Additional title: Captain's Island East and Captain's Island West
Names
United States Coast Survey (Publisher)
Hassler, F. R. (Ferdinand Rudolph), 1770-1843 (Creator)
Ferguson, James, 1797-1867 (Creator)
Eakin, C. M. (Constant M.) (Creator)
Blake, George S. (George Smith), 1803-1871 (Creator)
Bache, A. D. (Alexander Dallas), 1806-1867 (Creator)
Humphreys, A. A. (Andrew Atkinson), 1810-1883 (Creator)
Luce, William, topographical engineer (Creator)
Barney, W. C. (Creator)
Rollé, A. (Creator)
Smith, W. (Creator)
Pettit, S. T. (Creator)
Mathiot, G. (Creator)
Collection

Maps of North America

Countries

United States (except New York)

States

Connecticut

Dates / Origin
Date Issued: 1860 (Questionable)
Place: Washington, D.C.
Publisher: Coast Survey Office
Library locations
Lionel Pincus and Princess Firyal Map Division
Shelf locator: Map Div. 15-5585
Topics
Nautical charts -- Connecticut -- Captain Harbor (Conn.)
Harbors of refuge -- Connecticut -- Captain Harbor (Conn.)
Captain Harbor (Conn.)
Greenwich (Conn.)
Genres
Maps
Nautical charts
Notes
Statement of responsibility: From a trigonometrical survey under the direction of F.R. Hassler, Superintendent of the Survey of the Coast of the United States ; triangulation by J. Ferguson, assistant ; topography by C.M. Eakin, assistant ; hydrography by the party under the command of Lieutenant G.S. Blake, U.S. Navy ; A.D. Bache, Superintendent.
Content: Covers Captain Harbor and adjacent waters. The harbor is between the islands and the mainland of Greenwich, Conn., immediately east of the New York state line. Captain's Island East is now called Little Captain Island. Captain's Island West is now called Great Captain Island.
Content: Depths shown by shading and soundings.
Content: Relief shown by hachures.
Statement of responsibility: "Topography reduced by W. Luce, draughtsman ; hydrography reduced by W.C. Barney, Lt. U.S. Navy ; Hills by A. Rolle, title by W. Smith, and the rest by S.T. Pettit."--Lower margin.
Date: "Buoys and Lt. Ho. up to Jan. 1860."
Date: "Published in 1849."
Content: Includes sailing directions and information on tides.
Content: "Electrotype copy no. 4 by G. Mathiot, U.S.C.S."--Upper right margin.
Funding: Mapping the Nation (NEH grant, 2015-2018)
Physical Description
Extent: 1 map ; 33 x 42 cm
Type of Resource
Cartographic
Identifiers
RLIN/OCLC: 162618821
NYPL catalog ID (B-number): b20644392
Other local Identifier: US045.1.03
Universal Unique Identifier (UUID): e1af2c00-327a-0134-747c-00505686a51c
Rights Statement
The copyright and related rights status of this item has been reviewed by The New York Public Library, but we were unable to make a conclusive determination as to the copyright status of the item. You are free to use this Item in any way that is permitted by the copyright and related rights legislation that applies to your use.

Item timeline of events

  • 1860: Issued
  • 2016: Digitized
  • 2023: Found by you!
  • 2024

MLA Format

Lionel Pincus and Princess Firyal Map Division, The New York Public Library. "Harbors of Captain's Island East and Captain's Island West (Harbors of Refuge no.)" The New York Public Library Digital Collections. 1860. https://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/e1af2c00-327a-0134-747c-00505686a51c

Chicago/Turabian Format

Lionel Pincus and Princess Firyal Map Division, The New York Public Library. "Harbors of Captain's Island East and Captain's Island West (Harbors of Refuge no.)" New York Public Library Digital Collections. Accessed February 8, 2023. https://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/e1af2c00-327a-0134-747c-00505686a51c

APA Format

Lionel Pincus and Princess Firyal Map Division, The New York Public Library. (1860). Harbors of Captain's Island East and Captain's Island West (Harbors of Refuge no.) Retrieved from https://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/e1af2c00-327a-0134-747c-00505686a51c

Wikipedia Citation

<ref name=NYPL>{{cite web | url=https://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/e1af2c00-327a-0134-747c-00505686a51c | title= (cartographic) Harbors of Captain's Island East and Captain's Island West (Harbors of Refuge no.), (1860) |author=Digital Collections, The New York Public Library |accessdate=February 8, 2023 |publisher=The New York Public Library, Astor, Lenox, and Tilden Foundations}}</ref>

Harbors of Captain's Island East and Captain's Island West (Harbors of Refuge no.)