+ o - ^
previous next

View this item elsewhere:

Title
Harbors of Captain's Island East and Captain's Island West (Harbors of Refuge no.)
Additional title: Captain's Island East and Captain's Island West
Names
United States Coast Survey (Publisher)
Hassler, F. R. (Ferdinand Rudolph), 1770-1843 (Creator)
Ferguson, James, 1797-1867 (Creator)
Eakin, C. M. (Constant M.) (Creator)
Blake, George S. (George Smith), 1803-1871 (Creator)
Bache, A. D. (Alexander Dallas), 1806-1867 (Creator)
Humphreys, A. A. (Andrew Atkinson), 1810-1883 (Creator)
Luce, William, topographical engineer (Creator)
Barney, W. C. (Creator)
Rollé, A. (Creator)
Smith, W. (Creator)
Pettit, S. T. (Creator)
Mathiot, G. (Creator)
Collection

Maps of North America

Countries

United States (except New York)

States

Connecticut

Dates / Origin
Date Issued: 1860 (Questionable)
Place: Washington, D.C.
Publisher: Coast Survey Office
Library locations
Lionel Pincus and Princess Firyal Map Division
Shelf locator: Map Div. 15-5585
Topics
Nautical charts -- Connecticut -- Captain Harbor (Conn.)
Harbors of refuge -- Connecticut -- Captain Harbor (Conn.)
Captain Harbor (Conn.)
Greenwich (Conn.)
Genres
Maps
Nautical charts
Notes
Statement of responsibility: From a trigonometrical survey under the direction of F.R. Hassler, Superintendent of the Survey of the Coast of the United States ; triangulation by J. Ferguson, assistant ; topography by C.M. Eakin, assistant ; hydrography by the party under the command of Lieutenant G.S. Blake, U.S. Navy ; A.D. Bache, Superintendent.
Content: Covers Captain Harbor and adjacent waters. The harbor is between the islands and the mainland of Greenwich, Conn., immediately east of the New York state line. Captain's Island East is now called Little Captain Island. Captain's Island West is now called Great Captain Island.
Content: Depths shown by shading and soundings.
Content: Relief shown by hachures.
Statement of responsibility: "Topography reduced by W. Luce, draughtsman ; hydrography reduced by W.C. Barney, Lt. U.S. Navy ; Hills by A. Rolle, title by W. Smith, and the rest by S.T. Pettit."--Lower margin.
Date: "Buoys and Lt. Ho. up to Jan. 1860."
Date: "Published in 1849."
Content: Includes sailing directions and information on tides.
Content: "Electrotype copy no. 4 by G. Mathiot, U.S.C.S."--Upper right margin.
Funding: Mapping the Nation (NEH grant, 2015-2018)
Physical Description
Extent: 1 map ; 33 x 42 cm
Type of Resource
Cartographic
Identifiers
RLIN/OCLC: 162618821
NYPL catalog ID (B-number): b20644392
Other local Identifier: US045.1.03
Universal Unique Identifier (UUID): e1af2c00-327a-0134-747c-00505686a51c
Rights Statement
The New York Public Library believes that this item is in the public domain under the laws of the United States, but did not make a determination as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. This item may not be in the public domain under the laws of other countries. Though not required, if you want to credit us as the source, please use the following statement, "From The New York Public Library," and provide a link back to the item on our Digital Collections site. Doing so helps us track how our collection is used and helps justify freely releasing even more content in the future.

Item timeline of events

  • 1860: Issued
  • 2016: Digitized
  • 2019: Found by you!
  • 2020

MLA Format

Lionel Pincus and Princess Firyal Map Division, The New York Public Library. "Harbors of Captain's Island East and Captain's Island West (Harbors of Refuge no.)" The New York Public Library Digital Collections. 1860. http://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/fd59fc80-327a-0134-3604-00505686a51c

Chicago/Turabian Format

Lionel Pincus and Princess Firyal Map Division, The New York Public Library. "Harbors of Captain's Island East and Captain's Island West (Harbors of Refuge no.)" New York Public Library Digital Collections. Accessed September 15, 2019. http://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/fd59fc80-327a-0134-3604-00505686a51c

APA Format

Lionel Pincus and Princess Firyal Map Division, The New York Public Library. (1860). Harbors of Captain's Island East and Captain's Island West (Harbors of Refuge no.) Retrieved from http://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/fd59fc80-327a-0134-3604-00505686a51c

Wikipedia Citation

<ref name=NYPL>{{cite web | url=http://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/fd59fc80-327a-0134-3604-00505686a51c | title= (cartographic) Harbors of Captain's Island East and Captain's Island West (Harbors of Refuge no.), (1860) }} |author=Digital Collections, The New York Public Library |accessdate=September 15, 2019 |publisher=The New York Public Library, Astor, Lennox, and Tilden Foundation}}</ref>

Harbors of Captain's Island East and Captain's Island West (Harbors of Refuge no.)